Social Media Guidelines
GUIDELINES FOR PUBLIC ON CITY-RUN SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES
- Comments not on topic
- Profane language or vulgar content
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation
- Sexual content or links to sexual content
- Solicitations of commerce
- Encouraging criminal conduct
- Information that may compromise security or safety of the public or public systems
- Content that violates the intellectual property rights of any other party
- Objectionable images, ideas or personal information will not be posted
- There should be no interaction between an employee’s personal social media and their actions on City affiliated social media
- No endorsement of commercial products, services, political parties, political candidates, groups or entities, will be allowed
- Harassment or content which constitutes and/or facilitates stalking
- Comments which may reasonably interfere with, inhibit, or compromise law enforcement investigations, police tactics, police responses to incidents, and/or the safety of police staff and officers
Posting or interacting on City of Cheyenne government social media platforms constitutes acceptance of these terms. Also, keep in mind that our social media channels are internet pages that are owned and operated by social media companies. All of these companies have their own policies and standards regarding what may or may not be posted and the actions they may take with regard to unauthorized posts.
DENIAL OF ACCESS
The City of Cheyenne reserves the right to deny access to any individual on City of Cheyenne social media sites who violate the City’s guidelines, at any time without prior notice.
If you wish to contest the removal or hiding of your content, or your denial of access (“banned”) from any of our social media platforms, you may do so by e-mailing the City’s Public Information Officer.
EMERGENCY OR NON-EMERGENCY REQUESTS FOR POLICE ASSISTANCE
The posting of requests for police assistance, regardless if it is of an emergency or non-emergency nature, is discouraged and will not guarantee a response by the City of Cheyenne on social media platforms. In case of an emergency, or if police assistance is needed, please dial 911. If you wish to report a crime or information relevant to a crime, please call the Cheyenne Police Department.
In the event you post information related to a crime, you may be placing yourself in a position of becoming a witness and subject to being subpoenaed into court.